Trisha W's Note:
I love chocolate - so it's much better for me when a serving of cake only has 119 calories as this one does. I suspect, though I haven't tried it, that reduced calorie strawberry or cherry spread would be good (in place of apricot), and give a pretty red color for occasions like Valentine's Day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder or 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine, plus
- 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup skim milk buttermilk
- 1/2 cup reduced-calorie apricot spread
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1Combine the first six dry ingredients (through salt) and set aside.
- 2Beat with a mixer, using high speed, the sugar and margarine until creamy; add the egg and vanilla extract beating until smooth.
- 3Gradually beat in the flour mixture (from step one) alternately with the buttermilk until the batter is smooth.
- 4Evenly divide the batter between two 8" square pans, sprayed with non-stick spray; then bake at 350*F for 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5Cool, remove from pans, placing 1 cake on a serving platter flat side up; set aside.
- 6In a small pan, heat the fruit spread over low heat about 2-3 minutes, until melted; then brush 1/4 cup of the melted spread on top of the cake on the platter; then brush the rest of the spread on the flat side of the remaining cake and place on the first cake, fruit-spread sides together.
- 7Evenly sprinkle the top of the cake with the powdered sugar and cut into 12 pieces.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Espresso Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.2
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.4 mg
- Sodium 242.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-calorie apricot spread