Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A friend served these at a dinner party a few years back and I HAD to have the recipe. Given my friend, I'm assuming the recipe came from Bon Appetit at some point.
- 236.59 ml flour
- 177.44 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 29.57 ml instant espresso powder
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml salted butter, melted
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml golden brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 177.44 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 236.59 ml chilled whipping cream
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- Sift flour, cocoa, 5 teaspoons espresso powder and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Put butter in a large bowl. Add white and brown sugar and whisk to blend well. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Whisk in dry ingredients.
- Divide batter among six 1 cup ramekins. Top each with 2 tablespoons chocolate chips. Gently press chips into batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Whip cream, powdered sugar and remaining espresso powder together into whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350F, rack in center position. Remove ramekins from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until cakes are puffed and crusty but a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a thick batter attached.
- Cool cakes for five minutes and serve hot, topped with the whipped cream.
A great, delicious recipe. I am fan of espresso and espresso made recipes. Thanks :)
This is the BEST!! Everyone needs to try it just once!! Great for entertaining!!
This was absolutely fabulous--a chocolate-lover's dream! I didn't have 1-cup ramekins, so I baked mine in mini bundt pans. I turned them out upside-down onto a plate and placed melted chocolate into the bundt cake center topped with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. I didn't have all the ingredients to make the espresso whipped cream, but I bet that would have been top-notch as well. Thanks for such a decadent, sinful delight!