Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Oh Martha, you are an evil woman! This was sent to me and I had to share.
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups chocolate wafers, finely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- salt, pinch
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup Kahlua
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- salt, pinch
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast until skins split and nuts turn golden brown, around 10 minutes, shaking pan a few times so the nuts do not burn.
- Remove from oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees.
- Rub nuts with a towel to remove skins.
- Cool then finely grind in a food processor.
- In a small bowl combine the ground nuts, cookie crumbs, espresso powder, salt and butter.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 11 inch round tart pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place chilled tart shell on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Cool Completely.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the Kahlua, cocoa, egg yolks, espresso powder and salt.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler.
- Whisk in Kahlua mixture.
- Continue whisking until mixture has thickened and registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat cream until you get stiff peaks.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Keep whisking until sugar is dissolved and meringue registers 160 degrees on thermometer.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- On high speed continue to whisk until peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Using a spatula gently fold in chocolate mixture, then whipped cream.
- Spread evenly into cooled tart shell.
- Chill 2 hours or overnight.