Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a friend I used to work with, who maintains that it's VITAL to use fresh espresso. This cake is very rich and fudge-like. I've tried cutting the recipe in half (unsucessfully) so I prefer to make the whole cake and just share it with others. My co-worker's recipe called for offering it with raspberry sauce, but I never asked for that part of the recipe as I just can't mix chocolate and fruit.
- Preheat oven to 350F; line bottom of 9" springform pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper, and wrap outside of pan with a layer of heavy-duty aluminim foil.
- Place chocolate in large bowl; set aside, In medium saucepan bring butter, sugar, and espresso to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar; once melted and blended, add to chocolate, whisking until smooth; cool slightly.
- Lightly beat eggs together; whisk in some of chocolate mixture, then add egg mixture into remainder of chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Pour batter into springform pan, place pan in a large roasting pan, pouring enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for approximately one hour, or until a cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs attached; remove cake from pan and chill overnight.
- Cut around sides of pan with butter knife to loosen cake.
Wow, incredible!!! Do make it a day ahead, all the difference in the world.