1 hr 13 mins
I found this while looking for something else on the Nestle site. This cake is so delicious, having a coffee glaze brushed on the cake before you frost it. Speaking of frosting? It has a fabulous buttercream frosting! This is not for dedicated dieters! Note: regarding the chocolate in this recipe, you will need to use "Nestle Chocolatier 62% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar). This will be for the cake and the frosting. I will refer to the chocolate by typing "Nestle chocolate baking bar." You can find this in the baking section of your supermarket.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Espresso Chocolate Cake
- 4 ounces Nestle chocolate, baking bar broken into small sections (1/2 bar)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, pack tightly
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For Coffee Glaze
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
For Mocha Buttercream frosting
- 1For the cake:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3Grease and line two 9-inch-round baking pans with wax paper.
- 4Microwave baking bar in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%power) for 1 minute. Stir. Sections may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10-to-15-second intervals,stirring just until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- 5Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat brown sugar, butter, eggs, instant coffee and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes. Gradually add melted chocolate and continue beating for an additional minute. Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into prepared pans.
- 6Bake for 22-38 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cakes. Invert onto wire racks; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- 7Brush cakes with Coffee Glaze over cake layers. Spread Mocha Buttercream frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- 8For Coffee Glaze:.
- 9Microwave granulated sugar, water and instant coffee in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100% power) for 30 seconds. Stir until sugar and coffee are dissolved.
- 10For Mocha Buttercream Frosting:.
- 11Microwave baking bar in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; Stir. Sections may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at 10-to-15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- 12Dissolve instant coffee in milk in glass measure. Beat butter, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate until blended, scraping occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in coffee mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, until desired spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Espresso Cake
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.1
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 114.8 mg
- Sodium 376.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 53.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant espresso coffee powder