Recipe by CoffeeMom
These are for those chocolate emergencies that creep up on you. From the book Sticks & Scones. These are VERY rich.
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into large pieces
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the chips, chopped up chocolate and 4 tbsp butter. When melted, set aside to cool.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining 4 tbsp of butter in with both sugars. When mixed, add eggs abd vanilla. Mix in the slightly cooled chocolate mixture, until just combined.
- Stir in flour mixture, mixing only until completely combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refegerate for.
- 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF Grease the cookie sheets.
- Using a heaping tablespoon measure, scoop out enough for 12 cookies on a sheet.
- Bake one sheet at a time for @ 9 to 11 minutes.Do not overbake, the cookies will firm up when they have cooled.
- Allow cookie to cool for a minute before moving them off the cookie sheet. When cool, frost with Vanilla Icing.
- Vanilla Icing-.
- Beat the butter until creamy.
- Gradually add the cream vanilla, and confectioners sugar and beat well.
- If necessary, add more confectioners sugar. The icing should be fairly stiff, not soupy.
- Spread a thick layer on each cookie.