Recipe by Nana Lee
Our apartment complex issues a monthly "newsletter". This was in the February issue. NOTE: Cooking time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Kaleen1
This came out really good and so pretty. my family enjoyed it and the crust was good- we are picky about our crusts! the next time i make this, i'll be using store brand eggnog- i bought the southern comfort brand and it was just way too spicy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts (your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar or 1⁄2 cup granulated artificial sweetener
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups dairy eggnog (or canned)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Press mixture into 9" pie plate, or 10" pie plate to form crust.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- In small bowl, stir gelatin into the cold water and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, mix the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in eggnog.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Divide mixture into 2 equal parts; stirring chocolate into one part and rum (extract) into the other.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and cool completely.
- Fold whipped cream into the rum portion.
- Spoon the rum flavored portion into the cooled pie crust.
- Top this with the chocolate mixture and gently swirl the chocolate portion into the white portion.
- Chill at least 4 hours or until firm.