1 hr 15 mins
A great recipe for the holidays! I don't remember where it came from but I think it was posted on a now defunct recipe message board. Prep time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 (18 ounce) package plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/3 cup brandy or 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spray a 13 x 9 pan with Pam, then dust with flour.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Carefully rub chocolate along the largest holes of a cheese grater to make 1 tablespoon grated chocolate.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Break the remaining chocolate in 4 or 5 pieces and place them in a small glass bowl.
- 7Microwave for 1 minute at HIGH power.
- 8Stir to melt and lumps remaining.
- 9Place the cake mix, eggnog, brandy, oil, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and melted chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
- 10Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds.
- 11Stop and scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 12Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if eneded.
- 13The batter should look well combined.
- 14Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- 15Place the pan in the oven.
- 16Bake 38 to 42 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger.
- 17Cool completely.
- 18Frost with eggnog frosting.
- 19To prepare frosting~place butter and 1 cup confectioner's sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- 20Blend with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds to incorporate.
- 21Stop mixer and add remaining confectioner's sugar, eggnog, and brandy.
- 22Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- 23If frosting is runny, add more confectioner's sugar and if too stiff add eggnog.
- 24Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and sprinkle the grated chocolate over the top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Eggnog Cake
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.1
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.6 mg
- Sodium 432.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 69.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g