Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great recipe for the holidays! I don't remember where it came from but I think it was posted on a now defunct recipe message board. Prep time is approximate.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 (18 ounce) packageplain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1⁄3 cup brandy or 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 -4 tablespoons eggnog
- 2 teaspoons brandy or 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan with Pam, then dust with flour.
- Set aside.
- Carefully rub chocolate along the largest holes of a cheese grater to make 1 tablespoon grated chocolate.
- Set aside.
- Break the remaining chocolate in 4 or 5 pieces and place them in a small glass bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute at HIGH power.
- Stir to melt and lumps remaining.
- Place the cake mix, eggnog, brandy, oil, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and melted chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds.
- Stop and scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if eneded.
- The batter should look well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake 38 to 42 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with eggnog frosting.
- To prepare frosting~place butter and 1 cup confectioner's sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Stop mixer and add remaining confectioner's sugar, eggnog, and brandy.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- If frosting is runny, add more confectioner's sugar and if too stiff add eggnog.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and sprinkle the grated chocolate over the top.