1/1 Photo of Chocolate Eclipse
This recipe is the best chocolate pudding cake I have found. It is from Mollie Katzen.
My Private Note
nine x ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (plus 2 tbl)
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 3Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together in a double boiler over hot water.
- 4In the meantime, heat buttermilk gently in a saucepan until just a little warmer than body temperature.
- 5In a large mixing bowl combine flour, 1 cup of the brown, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 6Mix well, using your hands if necessary to break up any lumps to achieve a uniform mixture.
- 7Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- 8Pour the butter/chocolate mixture into buttermilk.
- 9add vanilla and then pour into the dry ingredients.
- 10Stir until well combined.
- 11Spread into prepared pan.
- 12Combine remaining 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar with unsweetened cocoa in a small bowl.
- 13Sprinkle this over the batter in the pan as evenly as possible.
- 14Next, pour boiling water gently and evenly over the sugar/cocoa mixture; do NOT stir.
- 15Place the pan immediately into the preheated oven.
- 16Bake for 30- 35 minutes, or until the center feels firm to the touch.
- 17Watch carefully, as it tends to over brown around the edges.
- 18Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- 19Best cooled for 2 hours.
- 20The finished result is a cake with a fudgy sauce hidden underneath.
- 21When serving, invert the cake so that the fudgy sauce becomes a topping.
- 22Serve with vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche or whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Eclipse
Serving Size: 1 (2211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3804.9
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.9 g
- Saturated Fat 39.5 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 4262.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 787.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.1 g
- Sugars 502.3 g
- Protein 64.5 g