Recipe by Vino Girl
Unlike the eclair desserts made with graham crackers, this one has a baked crust that has a texture and taste like the real thing. It puffs up and gets all bubbly! The filling is custard-y, and the chocolate icing is sweet. In short - it really is like an eclair, only much easier to make. Even though the recipe has three parts, it really doesn't take too terribly long to make. This recipe has circulated within my family for at least 20 years, and it's still a big favorite. Reduced fat and sugar-free products can be used and it will still turn out great. In place of the unsweetened chocolate squares, you can use 6 tablespoons of unsweetened baking cocoa + 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook time does not include refrigeration time, so please allow for that.
Top Review by Mscafam
This is the BEST dessert. The crust is perfect and unlike that of any other chocolate eclair torte I've had. Every time I make it I get rave reviews. In fact, I've now started saving it as a holiday dessert. Everyone looks forward to it.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 450°F Grease a large jelly roll pan.
- Bring water and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and beat until the mixture forms a ball.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Beat in eggs.
- Spread crust mixture on the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until firm.
- Don't overbake.
- FILLING: Mix the first 3 ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spread on the cooled crust and chill for an hour or so to firm the filling.
- ICING: Using a medium saucepan or a double boiler, melt chocolate squares in butter over low to medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adding more milk if necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Drizzle over the filling.
- Chill before serving for a few hours.
- Store the torte in the refrigerator.