Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is similar in style to the Chocolate Eclair Cake #57927, except mine has a chocolate drizzle on top and vanilla custard instead of chocolate custard inside. It's not really a cake - more like one big sheet pan of a chocolate eclair. Yummy. I included cooling time in the cooking time.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 (5 1/8 ounce) packagesdry vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- Bring water and butter to a boil in a saucepan until all butter is melted.
- All at once, add flour and salt.
- Beat until mixture forms a ball that leaves sides of saucepan.
- Cool slightly 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Spread this pastry dough into an ungreased cookie sheet/jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Pierce bubbles with fork and press lightly into pan.
- Cool completely.
- Mix pudding with milk and softened cream cheese.
- Beat thoroughly and spread onto cooled pastry.
- Spread Cool Whip over pudding mixture.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat.
- Add confectioners sugar and milk to chocolate mixture, stirring until a thin glaze forms.
- Drizzle chocolate glaze over Cool Whip.
- Cool at least one hour before serving.