Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Though messy, this cake is really yummy!
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a cake tin.
- Cover the bottom of the cake tin with the chopped pecans and flaked coconut.
- Prepare cake mix as per package instructions.
- Pour over the chopped pecans and flaked coconut.
- Melt butter.
- Add to it the cream cheese, extract and confectione's sugar.
- Stir well, and then pour over the cake bottom.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
- Please bear in mind that one cannot test for doneness as the cake will appear sticky even when done.
Very rich and moist, I love the cr. cheese. You can test this cake with a cake tester. Another keeper!!
Took this cake to a party the first time I made it and was a little frightened at it's appearance. When I flipped it out of the cake pan it kind of sank in the middle and looked like it wasn't quite done cooking. It was though and it tastes FABULOUS if you can ignore how it looks. It's very rich and moist and the coconut and pecans add a nice crunch. Thanks for a great recipe and an interesting conversation piece!
I have made this cake several times and it's always delicious. All who have tried it wanted my recipe.