Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (NOT UNSWEETNED) or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (NOT UNSWEETNED)
- 2⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate (not unsweetned) or 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetned)
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Place rack to centre.
- Grease 10 inch angel food pan.
- Place tea bags into a measuring cup and pour over 2/3 cup boiling water.
- Let steep 6 minutes.
- Remove tea bags, squeezing any liquid into the cup.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Melt chocolate in the top of double boiler until smooth.
- Remove let cool.
- Puree marmalade in processor or through a sieve. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Now stop using mixer and use the wooden spoon, for combining.
- Stir in the marmalade, walnuts, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the cold tea into the chocolate mixture in two additions. DO NOT OVERBEAT-- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until tester comes away clean-- about 60- 70 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife cut around the edges to loosen then turn out.
- Cool completely.
- Bring the cream to a boil, and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Let stand to melt.
- stirring now until smooth.
- Place cake onto plate-- Glaze the top and letting glaze drip down the sides of cake.
- Cover with a dome top.
- Store at room temperature.
- Can be made the day before serving.