Recipe by sherri H
These were cookies my aunt made all the time when I was little--worth the wait and very good! I have never made them with nuts, but I'm sure they are good with them also.
Top Review by McBeanbean
These cookies are superb! My family loved how chocolatey and soft they were. I mixed 3/4 cup chopped walnuts into the batter, which tasted great. I dropped them by teaspoonfuls, which made 4 dozen cookies. I will definitely make these again, and plan to try mixing other things in for a different taste. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, sugar and egg.
- Stir in sour milk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa; stir.
- Add nuts.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- • Note: You can use plain milk with 1 tbsp vinegar to sour it. Works as well as the sour milk.