Recipe by Leta
My dad brought this recipe home from the Navy nearly 50 years ago. I have been making them since I could stand on a chair by the stove and stir. The peanut butter in this recipe makes these cookies a little different than similar recipes I've seen here.
Top Review by Kree
Leta, these are sinfully delicious! I made them using vanilla soymilk (and omitting the additional vanilla) and soy nut butter, and they turned out terrific! I'll definitely be making these again soon!
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- If using cookie sheet, prepare pan by coating lightly with butter or margarine.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cocoa, butter and sugar.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a full boil, then boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and peanut butter until peanut butter is completely melted.
- Stir in quick oats.
- Quickly* drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper, or spread in a buttered cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool completely.
- If using cookie sheet, cut into squares to serve.
- *If you don't move quickly, cookies will set up in the pan.
- If cookies do not set, you didn't boil long enough.
- If cookies are dry, you boiled too long.