Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I always make a double recipe as these are popular around our house!
- 1 package unsalted saltine crackers (This is 1 column of crackers--not 1 full package)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (This is equal to 2 sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place crackers in a single layer on a cookie sheet that has sides ( place them side by side covering the entire cookie sheet).
- Melt butter and sugar over medium to medium-high heat ; boil together for 3 minutes (should be bubbling).
- Pour over the crackers to cover.
- Bake at 400F for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread the chocolate chips on the top (again spreading to cover).
- Cool, then freeze for 2 hours or until hard.
- Break into pieces like peanut brittle (with a fork).
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
That's okay, Stewie. I'm not sure that I'll try it again, although the recipe still does intrigue me and I would be curious to find out what this actually tastes like. Thank you for your explanations, anyway.
First, when the recipe was changed, it did not update correctly--hopefully it should be correct now. It is one half cup butter. You use one sleeve--that also was in the original--somehow changed. I always thought boiling was only one temperature-you put it on high until it bubbles then you watch it so that it doesn't burn while it continues to bubble for three minutes as it thickens,turning down the heat slightly if necessary. The mixture does thicken some, but it is not unmanageable. This is the recipe that a caterer gave me 10 years ago and I have always had wonderful results following it exactly, as have the many people I've given it to. I am sorry that it did not work out for you.