Chocolate Dippity Donuts (Paula Deen)
- oil, for frying
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can biscuits
For the sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) bar sweet chocolate (recommended ( Baker's German's)
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- chocolate chips (optional)
- chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- toasted coconut (optional)
- colored candy (optional)
- chopped pecans (optional)
- store-bought glaze (optional)
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to about 360 to 375 degrees F.
- Remove biscuits from the can. Poke a hole in each one with your thumb. Form them into doughnuts. Drop them into hot grease and brown them on both sides until they were done about 2 minutes on each side. Don't forget to flip often.
- For the sauce:.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over very low heat. Stir in the sugar, alternating with the evaporated milk, blending well. Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, remove the pan from the heat.
- Dip cooked doughnuts immediately into the chocolate mixture before the chocolate starts to cool. Add topping/toppings of your choice.
- Place the doughnuts on a plate and serve when the chocolate on the doughnuts sets, about 5 minutes.