Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Given to me by a girlfriend but all we know is it came from a TV cooking show in Australia, she wrote the recipe down and it was delcious.
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups flour (lain or all purpose)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100 g chocolate (white, dark or milk or a bit of each melted)
- Preheat oven to 170C (fan forced) about 185/190C for conventional.
- Cream butter and caster sugar together until fluffy.
- Toss in the flour, baking powder and vanilla essence and mix till combined.
- Place spoonfulls of mixture onto a lined baking tray and lightly press with a fork to flatten a little if you like.
- Bake in oven fir 15 to 20 minutes (my friend set hers for 12 minutes and kept a check from then - her oven tends to be hot - and reconed they were perfect at 16 to 18 minutes - won't disagree with her on that).
- Allow to cool and then drizzle over with the melted chocolate of choice.
These are a very simple and good shortbread cookie. I baked for 12 minutes and when I checked they looked like huge mounds of dough so I flattened them a bit at that point and finished baking. Made for Make My Recipe Aus/NZ.
OMG Pat, this recipe is incredible!!!! It is easy to make, very quick and tastes sooooo good! The texture is crumbly and melt in your mouth, just like shortbread should be. The vanilla comes through nicely and makes for a very pleasant shortbread. I used ground vanilla bean pods instead of the essence and thus reduced the amount to 1/8 ts for half the recipe. I ended up with 21 big cookies from half the recipe and Im sure theyll be gone in a flash. I am completely thrilled to have found this recipe as Im a shortbread addict and these are so good! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this fantastic keeper with us! Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag Game July 2010.
I love these cookies. They have just the right amount of sweetness for a shortbread cookie. I used Really Easy Vanilla Sugar for the caster sugar and therefore omitted the extract. I also took a previous reviewers advice and flattened the dough before baking. Finally I dipped the cookies in melted chocolate so that half the cookie was coated. They took 17 minutes to bake in my oven. Made for 1~2~3 Hits ~ Tag.