1/1 Photo of Chocolate-Dipped Orange Cookies
Buster's friend's Note:
This recipe originally called for lemon in place of the orange but orange and chocolate translates to Christmas for me. Found the original in The Washington Post who attributed the Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook. In homage, consider using Ghirardelli chocolate for this recipe. Whatever chocolate you use, use block chocolate, not morsels. ****dough needs 30 to 60 minute minimum chill in the fridge (good for making the day before)**** These turned out to be the star on the Christmas platters. Several folks would not believe these were not purchased! They are that good with bittersweet chocolate & about 3+ teaspoons orange zest. Will make next with tangerine zest!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the glaze
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken & chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1For the dough: Combine the confectioners' sugar and butter in the large bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held mixer; beat on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the egg, lemon zest, and lemon and vanilla extracts.
- 2Combine the flour, baking powder and salt on a sheet of wax paper. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Use well-floured hands to form the dough into a compact log 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 3When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 4Carefully cut the dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices, turning the log slightly every few cuts to ensure even, round slices. Place the rounds 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until the cookie edges are golden. Cool for 1 minute on the sheets, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep the parchment paper on the baking sheets.
- 5While the cookies are cooling, make the glaze: Melt the chocolate in a small metal bowl suspended over a saucepan of very hot water over medium heat, stirring occasionally until smooth. Add the melted butter and continue stirring to mix well. Remove from the heat.
- 6Place a wire rack on one of the parchment-paper-lined baking sheets. Holding each cookie vertically, dip it halfway into the melted chocolate mixture. Place the cookie on the rack and repeat with the remaining cookies and chocolate. Let the cookies set for 45 to 60 minutes, until the chocolate is firm, before storing.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Dipped Orange Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.8
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 20.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 1.2 g