Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy Dave Lieberman
- 1 cup husked hazelnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place hazelnuts on baking sheet. Bake until they're a shade darker and fragrant, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Lower oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place hazelnuts in blender or food processor and pulse to coarse bits; set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt to blend; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until smooth. Beat in egg. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Add the chopped hazelnuts and mix until distributed evenly throughout.
- Form into finger sized logs, about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons dough each, and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake until firm, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on racks.
- In a saucepan over lowest heat or in a double boiler, melt chocolate. Dip 1 end of cooled cookies into melted chocolate. Place back on cookie sheet to harden.
I loved this - used pecans as can never find hazelnuts in my small town. Wonderful for Christmas time.