Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Don't wait for a special occasion to make these little darlings; make something up if you must have a "reason" for making a mess! Whatever you have on hand--dip it!--cookies, candies, fruit (fresh/dried), crackers, brownies, chips, pretzels.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 cups pretzels (for example)
- In a medium bowl, melt chips and shortening in a microwave; stir until smooth.
- While that is melting, tear off rectangles of waxed paper (dipped items will rest here until set).
- Using a fork or a dipping tool, dunk half or entire pretzel into chocolate, slightly scrape bottom of item (don't want to waste chocolate dripping off!); set on waxed paper.
- Continue until chocolate is gone (gather other dip-able tidbits as suggested in the description).
- Unused chocolate can be scraped into a small container and chilled until another batch is made.
- Store dipped treats in a covered tin--kept away from heat or water.
- GIFT IDEAS: Add a handful to your Christmas cookie trays or tins; add 1/4°C dipped fruit to Junior's lunch box (counts as a fruit AND as "love"--all in one); fill a pretty jar tied with a festive seasonal bow and give to the mail carrier or hair dresser!
- DIPSTICK: Dip stick/rod pretzels, candy-canes, or lollipops/suckers THEN sprinkle with decorative sprinkles (you really should let the kids do this--it's just FUN!).