Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From the cookbook, "The Spirit of Christmas", published by Leisure Arts. You can buy the white, medium, or dark chocolate disks at your local grocery store, either in the bulk section, bakery area, or baking aisle. If you prefer, you can melt together 6 ounces of chips or baking chocolate (except unsweetened) and 1 tablespoon of shortening in place of the candy coating.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted (or 6 oz baking chocolate with 1 tbps shortening)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 225°F/107°C In a mixing bowl, beat first three ingredients at high speed of an electric mixer just until foamy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in vanilla and 1/2-cup walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 75 minutes and leave cookies in oven for two hours.
- Dip bottom of each cookie into melted coating and press into toasted walnuts. Place on waxed paper until dry.