Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate and coconut are so good together.
- 4 large egg whites
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- 88.74 ml all-purpose flour
- 226.79 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a saucepan, stir together egg whites, sugar, salt, vanilla, coconut and sift in flour.
- Stir the mixture until combined well.
- Cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to moderately-high and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes more, or until it is thickened and begins to pull away from the bottom and sides of pan.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and let it cool slightly, and chill, surface covered with plastic wrap, until just cold.
- Preheat oven to 300F and place rack in centre of oven.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart onto buttered baking sheets an d bake macaroons in batches for 20-25 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool.
- Melt chocolate, stirring, until smooth.
- Remove from heat and dip in macaroons, coating halfway and letting chocolate drip off.
- Transfer to a foil-lined tray and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until chocolate is set.
- The macaroons keep, chilled, separated by layers of wax paper, in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.