Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe that I really really want to try.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted margarine
- Preheat oven to 225 deg. Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper.
- In large mixing bowl using an electric mixer set on high speed. Beat egg whites until foamy, beat in cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff, but not dry peaks form, beat in vanilla until combined --
- Using a teaspoon shape meringue mixture into twenty-four 1 1/2 inch rounds, place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake meringues until firm and dry about 30 minutes. Turn off oven, let meringues cool in oven until dry and crisp about one hour.
- While meringues are cooling prepare chocolate coating in a double boiler set over simmering (not boiling) water. Melt chocolate stirring constantly until smooth, remove from heat, add margarine and stir until melted and smooth cool completely.
- Carefully remove meringues from waxed paper, dip each meringue halfway into coating allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Place meringues on waxed paper let stand until set.