Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Family Circle" magazine, February 2006. This would make an excellent party dish. It is really a very simple dish to make.
- 24 maraschino cherries, with stems (about 10 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup blanced slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Line two 15x11x1-inch jelly-roll pans with waxed paper. Drain cherries well. Place cherries on thick paper towels and set aside.
- Combine syrup and butter in medium-sized bowl. Stir in sugar until well combined. Shape this mixture into a 12-inch long roll on waxed paper. Wrap waxed paper around the roll; twist ends to seal and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Unwrap roll and cut into 24 1/2-inch pieces. Flatten each piece slightly in palm of hand and wrap around a cherry leaving stem uncovered. Set in prepared pan; refrigerate 1 hour or until coating is firm.
- Spread almonds on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes, stirring once. Remove from microwave and let cool on plate. When cool, chop finely and place in small bowl.
- Place chocolate and shortening in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Remove and stir until melted.
- Holding cherry by the stem, carefully dip cherry into chocolate to cover sugar coating completely. Scrape off excess. Dip bottom in chopped nuts and place on remaining prepared pan. Repeat to coat all cherries. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Store in a cool place.