Recipe by Smilyn
This doesn't include the 2 hour chill time.
Top Review by Messy44
Made these for my cookie exchange this year and they were wonderful. Sliced the dough very thin and then baked a little long so they would be crisp. Made just as directed and they were so butterscotchy and wonderful. Almonds sent them over the top. Will make again without question. A lovely cookie, simple and unique flavor. What else could you want? Thanks!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butterscotch chips, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in any remaining flour and the butterscotch pieces.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a 9 inch long log; flatten so logs are about 2 ½ inches wide.
- Wrap logs in plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Using a sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- Place slices 1 inch apart on un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool.
- Meanwhile, spread almonds in a single layer in a shallow baking pan.
- Toast in the 350F oven for 5 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces and shortening.
- Cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Dip ends of cookies into melted chocolate.
- Place cookies on waxed paper.
- Sprinkle almonds on chocolate.
- Let stand for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- To Store: Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container.
- Store at room temp for up to 3 days.