Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
As an affirmed macaroon, chocolate and pistachio lover, these look like real treats. I haven't made them *yet*. From Bon Appetit. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup egg white (about 6 large)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Blend sugar and almonds in food processor until nuts are ground to powder, scraping down sides of bowl often, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and blend 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in pistachios.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry.
- Fold nut mixture into whites in 4 additions (batter will be thick).
- Spoon batter by generous tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 1 1/2-inches apart.
- Bake cookies 1 sheet at a a time until dry and cracked on top, about 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate over double-boiler or in microwave, stirring until melted.
- Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate, shaking off excess.
- Place on foil-lined baking sheets, or on waxed paper- chill for 30 minutes.
- (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store between sheets of waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerate.) Serve at room temperature.