Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was featured in an email from the www.lifescript.com website.
- 1⁄2 cup egg white (about 4 large egg whites)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Continue mixing on high speed while adding 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add the remaining sugar by the tablespoon. Beat for another 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the almonds. Drop the meringue batter by the spoonful onto the cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until pale golden, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof container and melt it over a simmering pot of water. Remove the chocolate from the heat.
- Line two cookie sheets with fresh parchment or waxed paper. One at a time, dip the bottoms of the meringues into the melted chocolate, let the excess chocolate drain off and place the chocolate-dipped meringues on the prepared cookie sheets. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until the chocolate is set.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.