Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Everyone loves these - I can't seem to make enough.
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (do not use margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Put instant coffee in a small dish and grind fine with the back of a spoon.
- Mix coffee, butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients then add to the butter mixture.
- Shape into bean shapes and score lightly down the back of each cookie with a butter knife.
- Bake 325°F for about 15 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
- Let cool and dip end in melted chocolate.
- Place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and set in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set the chocolate.
This is a really wonderful and tasty recipe, with the chocolate and coffee being a nice sharp flavor contrast to the rich buttery dough. I did not have a lot of luck shaping these elegantly, so I pressed most of the dough into a 9x13 pan, baked it, then sprinkled chocolate chunks over the top and put it back in the oven for just a minute or two. When the chocolate started to glisten, I spread it over the top, then cut the chocolate-topped shortbread into squares. Really a delcious recipe, thank you.
I have made these for years now and it's true everyone loves them and requests them over and over. My frustration is that I just can't get a nice bean shape that holds. This year I may try as Moxie suggests and bake them in a 9x13 pan melting chocolate on top.
Everyone loves these. I have made them several times - always a big hit.