Recipe by Tisme
I found this recipe in the Weekly Times paper, and am posting her to make soon. DS has a GF that is gluten intolerant and I thought I might make this one night when she is over.
Top Review by **Jubes**
This is a really easy cake to make and uses common ingredients without the need for gluten-free flours/starches. the cake rose while cooking but settled down in the refrigerator to about 2cm high (just unfer an inch). Thick, dense and rich- delicious served with custard. Would also be great with some whipped cream or thick yogurt. We enjoyed this cake for my daughter's 16th birthday family get together. Photo to be posted later (my camera has a flat battery at the moment). Made for Make my Recipe Tag Game in the Aus/NZ Forum
- 100 g chocolate, chopped
- 100 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 eggs, separated
- cocoa powder, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin. Line the base and sides of the tin and grease the paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over another saucepan containing boiling water, making sure the water doesn't bubble into the chocolate mix. Stir over low heat until melted.
- Dissolve coffee in hot water. Add to the chocolate mix with the sugar and almond. Mix well.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; gently fold into chocolate mixture, gradually.
- Pour into tin. Cook in moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until firm to touch. Cover with foil if browning too much.
- Cool in tin. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.