I cant claim this as my own recipe but it's from 2009 Masterchef Australia chef Eamon Sullivan. I just wanted to post his recipe so I never lose it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 375 g thickened cream
- 135 ml milk
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 60 g caster sugar
- 190 g thickened cream
- 60 g dark cocoa, sieved
- 190 g boiling water
- 150 g caster sugar
- 125 g dark chocolate, chopped (64-70%)
- 15 g gelatin, leaf gold strength, soaked in ice cold water until soft
- 350 g thickened cream, whipped
- 250 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 150 ml thickened cream
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 5 pinches flaked sea salt
Toasted almond flakes
- 50 g sliced almonds, toasted
White chocolate stripes
- 150 g white chocolate, buttons melted
- 1Crème brulee.
- 2Pre heat oven to 140°C.
- 3For crème brulee, combine cream, milk and vanilla beans in a saucepan over a medium heat, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Remove vanilla beans from cream mixture and discard.
- 4Mix egg yolks, whole egg and sugar together, without incorporating too much air.
- 5Slowly whisk in hot cream and strain. Pour approximately half the mixture into a baking paperlined slice tin to a depth of 6-8mm. Place in a bain marie and bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and set in the centre.
- 6Freeze in blast chiller. Cut out two 9cm circles and blast chill until ready to assemble.
- 7Choco cream.
- 8For choco cream, pour cream, cocoa, water and sugar into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring regularly. Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- 9Squeeze water from the gelatine leaves, add to warm chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Sieve and chill over ice, refrigerate until cool.
- 10Whip cream to soft peaks and gently fold through 400g of choco cream until combined taking care not to knock out too much air. Refrigerate until assembly.
- 11Biscuit Base.
- 12For biscuit base, increase oven temperature to 180°C.
- 13Place flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor and process to a fine breadcrumb. Add egg and process until mixture starts to come together. Tip mixture onto a clean chopping board and press into a smooth dough, wrap in cling film and rest for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- 14Place pastry between two sheets of baking paper and roll out to 2-3mm thick. Cut out 9cm circles and place on a baking paper lined baking tray. Blast chill for 1 minute. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and allow to cool.
- 15Chocolate glaze.
- 16For chocolate glaze, pour cream, glucose and water into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Pour over chocolate and stir until melted and mixture is smooth.
- 17Salted caramel.
- 18For salted caramel, make a caramel with sugar and water. Whisk in cream until incorporated. Add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking between each addition and stir in salt. Continue to whisk to a thick glossy sauce.
- 19White chocolate stripes.
- 20Spoon the melted chocolate into a piping bag. Keep warm or reheat in a bowl of warm water when ready to use.
- 21To assemble, place 2 x 10cm cake rings on a baking paper-lined tray. Place cooked biscuit bases in the centre of each cutter and top each with a circle of frozen crème brulee. Pour chocolate cream mixture over each cutter and spread over each stack so that it fills the gaps down the sides and the tops are level. Blast chill until frozen.
- 22To prepare the delice, place frozen rounds on a cooling rack set over a baking tray and gently remove the moulds using a blowtorch. Pour chocolate glaze generously over each frozen round so that it covers the sides and drizzle with white chocolate in stripes. Arrange toasted almonds around the edges.
- 23To serve, spoon salted caramel sauce onto a serving plate, sprinkle with salt and top with a delice.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Delice With Salted Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (984 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7191.3
- Calories from Fat 4990
- Total Fat 554.4 g
- Saturated Fat 331.3 g
- Cholesterol 2037.3 mg
- Sodium 628.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 560.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 51.9 g
- Sugars 328.4 g
- Protein 100.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt