Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I was looking for something to eat with a bottle of Coppo Passione Brachetto d'Acqui for a romantic treat for my husband and I, and this fit the bill perfectly. It is also delicious with Lindemans Framboise Lambic. Modified slightly from Gourmet; I had everything in my fridge/freezer already! Thank goodness for that monstrous bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips I had on hand for making cookies. I was worried it wouldn't work in this little heart-shaped baking dish I have, but it was just perfect. It is better if made a day in advance.
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 10 ounces frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan and line bottom with a round of wax paper. Butter paper and dust pan with flour, knocking out excess.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, whisking until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Beat together eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale yellow, thick, and a ribbon forms when beaters are lifted, about 10 minutes.
- Fold one fourth of egg mixture into chocolate mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining egg mixture.
- Pour batter into cake pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Put cake pan in a hot water bath and place in middle of oven. Bake 45 minutes (top will be set, but a tester will not come out clean).
- Remove cake from water bath and cool completely in pan on a rack. Run a thin knife around edge of cake and chill, covered, at least 4 hours and up to 12.
- Make sauce. Purée raspberries with sugar in a food processor or blender, then force through a fine sieve into a bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Remove cake from pan. (Put cake pan directly on a burner at very low heat. Move pan around on burner to warm bottom, about 30 seconds, then shake pan to loosen cake. Invert cake onto a rack. Remove wax paper and invert cake onto a serving plate.).
- Bring cake to room temperature. Serve with sauce.