Recipe by E.A.
This is from a Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. Great for any occasion, birthdays, Valentine's Day or for my favorite reason, just because you want chocolate!
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh raspberries or 2 1⁄2 cups thawed frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup framboise eau-de-vie (optional) or 1⁄4 cup other raspberry liqueur (optional)
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate or 1 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the raspberry sauce, place the raspberries, sugar and framboise, if using, in a blender or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Puree until smooth.
- If you prefer a seedless sauce, pass the puree through a sieve.
- To make the cake, position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat to 425°F.
- Butter a 8 or 9-inch springform pan or layer cake pan.
- Line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper or waxed paper cut to fit precisely.
- Butter the paper and dust with flour;tap out any excess.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl or the top pan of a double boiler.
- Set over a pan of gently simmering water but not touching the water.
- Stir often until melted and combined completely.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until light, fluffy and tripled in volume, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of the egg mixture into the chocolate to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg mixture, taking care not to deflate the matter.
- Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake exactly 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely to room temperature.
- Do not refrigerate or the cake will stick to the pan.
- Invert the cake onto a flat serving plate and peel off the paper.
- Cut into wedges and top with sauce and whipped cream.