Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This an excellent dessert-however-do follow the chilling directions or you will be serving crumbs.
- 1⁄2 lb unblanched almonds
- 1⁄2 lb semisweet chocolate
- 7 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb finely chopped dates
- whipped cream
- grated chocolate
- slivered almonds
- Process almonds and chocolate in a food processor to small chunks-but not fine.
- In a large bowl beat the whites to stiff peaks and gradually add sugar.
- Fold in the almond/chocolate mixture and dates.
- Pour into a foil lined 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Turn off oven and crack the oven door and allow the torte to cool.
- When cold turn out onto a platter and refrigerate overnight.
- I did not chill it overnight and had a crumbly mess the first time-yummy but crumbly.
- Remove from fridge and spread the top with a generous layer of whipped cream.
- Top with grated or shaved chocolate and slivered almonds.