Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes intact from Taste of Home's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook, Volume 2, 2003.
- 2 cups dates, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 13"x9" baking pan.
- FOR BASE ~ In a saucepam. combine dates & water. Bring to a low boil, then remove from heat & set aside to cool. Do not drain.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar & shortening.
- Add eggs, flour, baking soda & salt, mixing well.
- Add dates & mix, then pour into prepared baking pan.
- FOR TOPPING ~ Combine the 3 topping ingredients, then sprinkle that mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
As I took this recipe I was preparing Christmas cookies! The result were delicious soft brownie-like squares! My DS was more thand glad for my missunderstanding!
As in the ingredients was not specified what kind of nuts I took coconut flakes. The combination came out exotic and delicious!
These taste wonderful! I don't know if I can quit eating them!!! I couldn't wait till they cooled, and just scooped some out with a spoon (piggy, piggy), and now I just can't wait so that I can cut them out and take a pic! I've got to say that my "base" seemed to swell up and overtake my topping....once it was cooked, it seemed that all I could see of the topping was a few chopped pecans. But the flavor makes up for not being beautiful! I'm sure someone else could make it "beautiful", but I definitely made this delicious!!! This is a keeper....thanks for sharing it.
Four teenagers devoured these yummy squares in a flash. I made these as written (using butter as the shortening). I suggest two changes to the instructions. The base and topping are thicker than the words 'pour' and 'sprinkle' imply. I'd say 'spread' and 'dollop' instead. By the way, the topping gives the squares a lovely texture. Yummo!