Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes intact from Taste of Home's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook, Volume 2, 2003.
Top Review by awalde
As I took this recipe I was preparing Christmas cookies! The result were delicious soft brownie-like squares! My DS was more thand glad for my missunderstanding!
As in the ingredients was not specified what kind of nuts I took coconut flakes. The combination came out exotic and delicious!
- 2 cups dates, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 13"x9" baking pan.
- FOR BASE ~ In a saucepam. combine dates & water. Bring to a low boil, then remove from heat & set aside to cool. Do not drain.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar & shortening.
- Add eggs, flour, baking soda & salt, mixing well.
- Add dates & mix, then pour into prepared baking pan.
- FOR TOPPING ~ Combine the 3 topping ingredients, then sprinkle that mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.