Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich, easy, and yummy!
- 4 cups whole milk (I've used dried)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (7 g) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 (8 inch) baked sweet tart crust
- In a 2 quart pan, heat milk slowly over a low heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add to hot milk and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring continually. Turn heat to lowest setting.
- In another bowl whisk egg yolks. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to yolks while whisking to warm yolks- not to cook them. In a thin stream add the warmed eggs to the the rest of the milk mixture, while whisking continually. Cook over low heat for 2 more minutes.
- Remove custard from heat and stir in vanilla, butter, and chocolate.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and stir into custard. Pour immediately into pie shell and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Pretty when garnished with chocolate curls.
I made this to bring to our bingo night and it went like wildfire! Enjoyed by all! You have some great recipes here. I hope others will try them!