Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you've never made homemade custard/pudding, you're going to be stunned at the difference in taste with store-bought. Once made, these delicious custards need to be refrigerated for atleast 3 hours before serving.
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- Melt chocolate over low heat.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, milk and 2 tblsps sugar and bring to bare simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tblsps of the milk mixture with the espresso powder and stir into the milk mixture with the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, egg, and remaining ¼ cup sugar for 1 minute, or until the mixture is blended well.
- Add milk mixture in a stream, whisking, and strain through a fine sieve into a large measuring cup.
- Spoon off the froth and pour into six 5-ounce custard cups.
- Cover cups with foil.
- Arrange cups in a baking pan and pour hot water around them to reach halfway up sides.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just set.
- Remove from oven, let cups sit in hot water for 10 minutes, remove, and let cool completely.
- Chill 3 hours and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.