1/3 Photos of Chocolate Curls
Delicate chocolate curls to garnish desserts, or to decorate cakes. Method found in an old issue of Good Housekeeping magazine. This recipe should provide enough curls to entirely cover a 2-layer cake. Adjust as necessary for desired amount of curls. ***NOTE***After submitting this recipe, I was informed that single ingredient recipes are not approved for this site. Therefore, the toothpick was added to the ingredient list. This toothpick is only used as a tool to lift the curls, as the heat of your hands will melt the delicate chocolate. The curls will not stand up to being punctured by the toothpick. They are adhered to the cake using the fresh frosting as glue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1In a heavy 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat 5 squares of chocolate, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.
- 2Pour melted chocolate into a 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly roll pan; use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the chocolate from the saucepan.
- 3With the same rubber spatula, spread the chocolate to evenly cover entire bottom of pan.
- 4Refrigerate until firm, but not brittle, about 10 minutes.
- 5Place jelly-roll pan on damp cloth on work surface (damp cloth keeps pan from moving while working).
- 6Holding teaspoon at a 30 degree angle, scrape chocolate into curls (if chocolate softens and sticks to spoon, place pan in refrigerator several minutes).
- 7With toothpick, transfer curls to another jelly-roll pan; refrigerate.
- 8Repeat 4 more times to make 5 batches of curls in all.
- 9To Garnish Cake with Curls: Using a toothpick as a tool to lift the delicate curls (the heat of your hands will melt or mar them), carefully press chocolate curls onto fresh frosting. (The gooey fresh frosting is the glue that holds the curls in place.)
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Curls
Serving Size: 1 (710 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3394.9
- Calories from Fat 1913
- Total Fat 212.6 g
- Saturated Fat 125.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 447.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 41.8 g
- Sugars 386.2 g
- Protein 29.7 g