Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from a cookbook years ago.
- 18 ounces white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares, coarsely shaved
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares, cut up
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 12 ounces vanilla frosting
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square, shaved
- Heat oven as directed on cake mix.
- Prepare cake mix as directed with water, oil, and egg whites.
- Fold into batter 2 squares unsweetened coarsley shaved chocolate.
- Bake the prepared cake mix as directed in 2 layer 8-9x1 1/2-inch cake pans.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar, light cream, butter, and chocolate.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until chocolate and butter are melted.
- Stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks; stir into remaining hot mixture in sauce pan.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Once cakes are cooled top 1 cake with the chocolate filling.
- Top with remaining cake.
- Shave unsweet chocolate.
- Frost top and sides of cake with vanilla frosting, then sprinkle with shaved chocolate on top of the cake.