Recipe by Cooking Creation
These cupcakes are so chocolaty and decadent. The Nutella-Kahlua ganache is so tasty that you will find yourself trying to not eat it all before you top the cupcakes. Note: If you would rather a thicker icing, as opposed to a glaze, simply reduce the amount of Nutella to 4 oz, allow the ganache to cool and beat it for several minutes until it becomes thick.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ferrero rocher candies, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces nutella (4 oz if whipped ganache is desired)
- 1 teaspoon Kahlua
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the butter, sour cream, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the batter, until just combined. Do not over-beat.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely.
- Make the ganache. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it just comes to a boil, being careful that it does not boil over. Remove from heat. In a double boiler over a gentle simmer, add the Nutella and pour the hot cream over all. Stir in the Kahlua and salt. Whisk until it becomes smooth and silky. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, turn them upside down and carefully dip them into the ganache, allowing the excess to drip off. If you would rather a whipped topping, beat the ganache to desired thickness, then spread over the cupcakes.
- Garnish each cupcake with one chopped Ferrero Rocher.