Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- gel-paste food coloring
- DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING:.
- Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition, about 5 minutes. (After every 2 additions, increase speed to high, and beat for 10 seconds, then reduce speed to medium-high). Add vanilla, and beat until buttercream is smooth. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (Bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth before using.).