I can't seem to get enough chocolate lately and these cupcakes were among my victims. This recipe comes from a Chicago bakery called Sweet Mandy B's and these cupcakes will make you happy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- candy sprinkles (optional)
- Cupcakes: sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a heavy mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; add sugar.
- Turn the mixer on low and add, in order; water, milk, eggs, oil and vanilla; scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium, briefly, to achieve a smooth batter.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tins lines with paper baking cups; each cup should be about half full; slide the tins onto a baking sheet and bake at 325° until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
- Frosting: Cream the butter in the bowl of a mixer, using the paddle attachment; beat in the corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
- With the machine off, spoon in the cocoa; carefully turn the mixer on low so as to avoid death by cocoa inhalement; do likewise for the sugar, in three parts; last, add the cream then beat until fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost generously and shake on some sprinkles if you like.