Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich chocolate cupcakes are made even better with a thick and creamy cheesecake center.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat for two minutes until well combined.
- Pour batter into paper lined muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Mix together cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until well combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon of this mixture onto the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
I put the cheese cake filling into a zip lock baggie, removed the air and inserted the filling easier and better looking into the center of the cake. I added a single serving container of unsweetened applesauce to the cake batter and it made it moister and tastier, too. Next time, I'll put about 4 oz. of softened cream cheese to the batter, for taste and moistness.
I tried this only because it looked simple and I need to bake this type of cake for an event. Had to question no egg in chocolate cake, but proceeded as written. Tasteless chocolate cake with a whimp of a crumb hard to get down. Centers were fine, but overall, this is not a winner.
I made this recipe today for my family and friends, they absolutely LOVED THEM. Im thinking another way to put the filling, I didt it with a spoon but I want them to look a little better. Definitely making this cupcakes this week again.