Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful recipe that was given to me by a friend years ago. The cake and frosting are easy to put together in less than an hour. The cake is moist and chocolatey and the frosting complements it well with a light peanut butter flavor.
- 517.37 g package devil's food cake mix (any chocolate cake mix will do)
- 167.26 g package instant chocolate pudding mix (I use sugar free)
- 236.59 ml sour cream (low fat is fine)
- 236.59 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil or 14.79 ml canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 59.14 ml coffee, if you don't have coffee add water instead (instant or brewed)
- 59.14 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla (optional)
- 118.29-236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like mini and it's optional)
- 198.44 g jar marshmallow creme (1 cup)
- 118.29-177.44 ml peanut butter (use more if you want more peanut butter taste)
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine, softened
- 2.46-4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 14.79-29.58 ml milk
- Cake:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, applesauce, oil, eggs, coffee/water, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill pan: 2 round cake pans, 1 bunt pan, or 24 cup cakes. **For cup cakes, spray or use liners and fill each with one level ice cream scoop, it makes the perfect amount.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes for cake or 20-25 min for cupcakes. It is done when the top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean, test twice because you might have hit a chocolate chip the first time. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate and frosting.
- Frosting:In small bowl with mixer at low speed (or by hand), combine marshmallow creme, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla until blended.
- Increase speed to medium (or keep mixing by hand) and add confectioners' sugar and milk, adding just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.
I made this cake for a birthday and it quickly became the family !!favorite!! Super most and amazing