Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rich chocolaty granola. If you avoid milk chocolate and don't serve it with dairy, it's vegan. Adapted from a recipe at delicious:days http://bit.ly/ih3gAJ
- 1⁄4 lb dark chocolate (50-55 % cacao)
- 3⁄4 cup loosely packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil or 3 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 cups rolled oats (about 1 1/2 lb) or 6 cups quick oats (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 3⁄4 cups Rice Krispies or 1 3⁄4 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line a deep metal baking sheet with parchment paper, so that the parchment paper overlaps the rim.
- Chop the chocolate. Place water and sugar into a small pot and bring to a boil until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from heat. Stir in oil, maple syrup, and chopped chocolate until well blended.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, then pour the chocolate syrup over it. Stir well (either with a large spoon or with your hands) and make sure all oats are well covered with the dark syrup. Break down larger clusters to your liking. Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes (to make sure that the granola bakes evenly, take out the sheet every 10 minutes and stir).
- Take it out of the oven as soon as the granola is baked through and let cool completely on the baking sheet – it develops crunchiness as it cools. Serve with milk, yogurt or even ice cream. Keeps in an airtight container for weeks.