Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 250 g plain dark chocolate
- 450 ml double cream
- 125 g caster sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 45 ml cold black coffee
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 4 plain croissants, sliced in half lengthways
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F.
- Lightly butter a 5cm deep, 18 x 23cm ovenproof dish.
- Place the chocolate, cream, sugar, butter and coffee in a glass bowl over (not touching) a pan of boiling water and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Whisk well and add the salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and slowly pour the chocolate mixture onto them, blending well.
- Spoon a few 15ml spoons of the sauce over the bottom of the ovenproof dish and arrange the bottom half of the croissants overlapping.
- Pour over half of the remaining mixture.
- Arrange the top halves of the croissants as before and finish by pouring the remaining chocolate over them.
- Press down lightly with a fork to make sure they are all covered.
- Allow to cool.
- Rest for 2 hours before baking, or palce in the fridge overnight covered with cling film.
- Bake in the top of the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and stand for 5-10 minutes to rest.
- Serve with creme fraiche.