Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 4 plain croissants, torn into pieces
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180oC/350oF. Grease the base and side of a 20cm deep-sided cake tin and line the bottom of the tin with baking paper.
- Place the croissant pieces in the tin, then scatter evenly the chocolate.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan to almost boiling, then remove from the heat. Gradually pour into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Add the orange rind and juice and stir well.
- Slowly pour the mixture over the croissants, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Sprinkle the top with the hazelnuts and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge, then turn out and invert. Cut into wedges and serve warm with cream, if desired.