Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a combination of two recipes. The chocolate filling is my son's favorite and I love the crispy crust.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- For crust:.
- melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chips and melt.
- add rice cereal and mix til well coated.
- place in greased 9" pie plate and press well to bottom and up the sides.
- chill 30 minutes or until firm.
- For pudding:.
- In saucepan, combine first 3 ingredients.
- whisk in cold water until thick paste forms.
- gradually whisk in boiling water.
- cook over medium heat, whisking all the while, until the mixture thickens.
- about 10 minute.
- remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- transfer to a bowl.
- place a piece of cling wrap on surface to pervent a skin from forming.
- cool pudding
- pour into cooled pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- top with whipped cream.
- Cook time includes the 2 hour chill time.
I don't know what I did wrong, but I couldn't cut a cute slice to take a photo. I think the pudding wasn't thick enough. I'm not so good when it's time to thicken something. The crust and the pudding is very good. The only thing I would change would be to reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. Cause it's a little bit too sweet. I used a dark cocoa powder. Thanks Lori :) Made for Holiday tag
How could I resist trying this -- the crispy crust sounded so good, and it was! The entire pie was eaten in 1 day, so you know we liked it. The crust is very good, like a chocolate Rice Krispies treat, and we enjoyed the filling. I think I will add cold milk in place of the 1/2 cup cold water when I make it again, just to make it creamier, but we also enjoyed it just as written. Thanks for posting this yummy recipe!
This is fabulous!! I was concerned it would not be sweet/rich enough being made with water rather than milk; but with the combo of the crust and the pudding with a little whipped cream on top, it was perfect!! DH is NOT a pie eater and when I make choco pudding pie with regular pie crust he usually doesn't eat it...well this he is devouring! Loves the crust! Will be making again for sure!!