Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Bon Appetit Nov 2008--this variation is from the Four Seasons Resort in Maui and have macadamia nuts added to them.
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup roasted salted macadamia nut
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- powdered sugar
- Stir chocolate and butter in a medium bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth; cool 10 minutes. Using on/off turns, blend macadamias and almonds with flour in processor until nuts are finely ground. Add baking powder and pulse to blend. Whisk eggs and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl to blend. Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Add nut-flour mixture; stir just to blend. Chill dough until firm enough to scoop, about 4 hours.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough by rounded tablespoonfuls between palms to form balls. Divide between prepared sheets. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough balls in powdered sugar to coat thickly; return to prepared sheets. Bake until cookies puff and form cracks and tester inserted into center of cookies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 18 minutes.
- Cool cookies completely on sheets on racks.