Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Quick Cooking (now called Simple & Delicious).Moist layers of chocolate cake with a sweet and creamy filling. These treats are handy to keep in the freezer for lunches and snacks.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes, oil, water and eggs; mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla; beat in.
- milk mixture until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Split cake into two horizontal layers. Spread filling over the bottom layer; cover with top layer.
- Cut into serving-size pieces.
- Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12-18 servings.